Monday, May 22, 2006

 

pacesetters nb15km 2006

21 may 2006. In my opinion, this is THE race to run. The route is challenging and Pacesetters are wonderful organizers. This year NB (New Balance) provided a good running vest. You can tell because around 80% of the runners were wearing the NB vest. Weather was perfect throughout the race. Saw Adam, Buluman, Kevin, Joviet, Tey, Azwar, Lai, Ccube, Jamie, Lawrence, Kenneth, Ben, Mee Peng, Dinesh, Draco, Richard, P1, Ryan, Jessica, GalNexDoor and her dad before the race started. However, cannot locate Cheong and Mee Peng (Cheong's wife) was also looking for him. I had intended to pace with him.

Gun off at 7am. I was pacing with Jamie since he mentioned he was gonna take it easy, so he says. And Kenneth said he is taking it easy too, so he says. Their easy has become my difficult or is it my impossible. Whatever it is, I am happy for the faster runners and runners that had improved their timings. True to his words Jamie was really taking it easy, in the begining that is, and I was able to keep pace. Exchange quite a few interesting words, its always nice to have good company. Jamie pick up pace from the hills onwards and I was plodding alone wondering where is Cheong.

The route is very challenging, as in many hills and some pretty steep ones too. And this year the route has been changed to be even more difficult, I heard some say. I wasn't complaning, in fact I told myself, that is what makes it interesting and satisfying to complete. Bring it on Pacesetters, make it more difficult, that's not gonna keep me out. If I wanted easy, I would be in bed. I had to psych myself up to conquer the hills. Here comes the excuses. I have a bad flu for 2 weeks already. Plenty of phlegm in nose and mouth. Thick stuff like cendol. Seen 3 doctors. Currently still on antibiotics that is to be finished by May 22. I was pretty bored running alone, not feeling fit and not able to run fast.

Just before the 2nd water station, spotted this slim lady wearing nice shorts with picture of monkeys all around and plain colour fitting vest. I overtook her and before I know it she overtook me. Feeling I should have said something the first time, this time I said out loud 'nice shorts, very inspiring indeed'. The old man beside me smiled, I guess he knew what I really meant. Almost immediately she adjusted her shorts, just like the foreign lady in KLIM 2006 when I complimented on her beautiful shorts too. Mmm...must be some global lady reflects thingy. No matter how they adjusted, the shorts still look beautiful.

When I saw the '1km to go' marker I ran faster. By the the time I reached '400m to go' muscle pull on right leg. Stop. Stretched. Jog. By the time I crossed the finish line with arms raised, left calf cramp and had to embarassingly stop, stretch at the finish arch and hop to the officials. Finished in 1:36:14. Cheong had already completed in 1:33! Congrats Cheong! And the 2 fellas that were going easy, Jamie and Kenneth finished in 1:24 ! Had lots of watermelon and took maggi mee, twiggy and mineral water home. Cheong and wife was so kind to give me a lift home, despite me warning them that my shorts and vest were still wet. Will be back next year and hopefully will be able to follow the 'easy' fellas.

Comments: Post a Comment

<< Home

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?